(by Squash Canada)
Day Two of the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships commenced with the athletes having a chance to shake off any pre-tournament jitters the day before. As the matchups became closer in skill, the level of intensity increased, with many matches going to five games and ending in nail biting scores.
- The highlight of the day was Lucia Bautista/Amalia Rios (Colombia) defeating Miriam Ortiz/Mariana Narvaez Dardon (Mexico) in a crowd gathering match. Game scores were 11-8, 9-11, and 11-6. Team Colombia will be joining Ecuador, El Salvador, and USA in the semi-finals on Tuesday.
- Lucia Bautista (Colombia) showed success in multiple categories, after also defeating Renee Chan (USA) in a great match with scores of 12-10, 8-11, 11-6 and 11-5.
- Nicolas Serna/Andres Villamizar (Colombia) claimed the closest match of the day by defeating Maxwell Orr/Conner Stoltz (USA), with scores of 8-11, 11-8, and 11-8. Proceeding into the semi-finals are countries Argentina, Colombia, El Salvador and Peru.
- The match between Brianna Jefferson/Nikhil Ismail (Canada) and David Pitcairn/Jade Pitcairn (Cayman Islands) kept supporters on the edge of their seats, but Canada ultimately succeeded with scores of 10-11, 11-7, and 11-9. Heading into the semis are Canada, Barbados, Argentina and Ecuador.
- The boy’s singles displayed the strength and endurance of the talented athletes, with many lengthy battles and close matchups. Some of the young men had to perform after overcoming a difficult game in the morning. The honourable mention goes to Leonardo Vargas Inurreta (Mexico) defeating Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) with close scores of 6-11, 11-9, 11-9, 8-11, and 11-9. Jeremias Azana (Argentina) and Nikhil Ismail (Canada) put on a real show for the audience. Although Nikhil ultimately lost, he was able to make it an entertaining five setter after being down 2-0, with scores of 5-11, 9-11, 11-9, 11-6, 8-11.
Team Canada Results – Day 2
- Erica McGillicuddy/Molly Chadwick lost to Ecuador by scores of 8-11 and 8-11.
- Neel Ismail lost to Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) by scores of 6-11, 14-16, and 10-12.
- Douglas Kosciukiewicz lost to Spencer Yager (USA) by scores of 3-11, 7-11, 11-6, and 11-13.
- Nikhil Ismail defeated Maxwell Orr by scores of 2-11, 11-8, 9-11, 12-10, and 11-9.
- Molly Chadwick lost to Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) by scores of 11-6, 6-11, 11-6, 7-11, and 8-11.
- Erica McGillicuddy lost to Mariana Narvaez Dardon (Mexico) by scores of 9-11, 5-11, 11-8 and 8-11.
- Brianna Jefferson defeated Jade Pitcairn (Cayman Islands) by scores of 11-9, 12-10 and 11-3.
- Brianna Jefferson defeated Binney Huffman (USA) by scores of 6-11, 11-7, 11-8 and 11-9.
- Charlotte Orcutt defeated Katya Aceituno (El Salvador) by scores of 11-4, 11-3, and 11-6.
- Charlotte Orcutt lost to Lucia Bautista (Colombia) by scores of 10-12, 7-11 and 8-11.