(By Squash Canada)
TORONTO, ON, June 19, 2019 — As Day Four began this morning, it marked the beginning of the team event at the 2019 Pan American Junior Championships. The 12 nations came prepared with their flags and spirited energy, as they cheered on their teammates. It was a much lighter day from a scheduling standpoint with just teams starting and the doubles finals later in the day.
Girls Team Event
- Team Mexico took down Ecuador in match scores of 2-1.
- Canada defeated Colombia in match scores of 2-1.
- USA beat Barbados in match scores of 2-1.
Boys Team Event
- Mexico defeats Colombia in match scores of 3-0.
- El Salvador took down Cayman Islands 3-0.
- Argentina defeated USA 2-1.
- Bermuda beat Barbados 2-1.
- Canada defeated Peru 3-0.
Amalia Rios & Lucia Bautista from Colombia were crowned champions when they defeated Team USA’s Molly Stoltz & Nina Mital in game scores of 6-11, 11-6, and 11-10. Supporters were on the edge of their seats when it came to 10-10 in the 3rd game. The 1-point difference in the 3rd game had supporters on the edge of their seats.
Meagan Best and Khamal Cumberbatch were crowned champions of the mixed doubles category after a thrilling 3-set match against David Costales and Maria Paula Moya of Ecuador. Game scores were 11-6, 9-11, and 11-7.
In perhaps the most thrilling match of the event yet, Peru’s Martin Leon and Rafael Galvez became the boy’s doubles champions. It was an epic battle against Colombia’s Andres Villamizar and Nicolas Serna, with the match being almost two hours long. Game scores were 5-11, 11-7, 11-10.