(By Squash Canada)
TORONTO, ON, June 19, 2019 — As Day Four began this morning, it marked the beginning of the team event at the 2019 Pan American Junior Championships. The 12 nations came prepared with their flags and spirited energy, as they cheered on their teammates. It was a much lighter day from a scheduling standpoint with just teams starting and the doubles finals later in the day.
Girls Team Event
- Team Mexico took down Ecuador in match scores of 2-1.
- Canada defeated Colombia in match scores of 2-1.
- USA beat Barbados in match scores of 2-1.
Boys Team Event
- Mexico defeats Colombia in match scores of 3-0.
- El Salvador took down Cayman Islands 3-0.
- Argentina defeated USA 2-1.
- Bermuda beat Barbados 2-1.
- Canada defeated Peru 3-0.
Amalia Rios & Lucia Bautista from Colombia were crowned champions when they defeated Team USA’s Molly Stoltz & Nina Mital in game scores of 6-11, 11-6, and 11-10. Supporters were on the edge of their seats when it came to 10-10 in the 3rd game. The 1-point difference in the 3rd game had supporters on the edge of their seats.
Meagan Best and Khamal Cumberbatch were crowned champions of the mixed doubles category after a thrilling 3-set match against David Costales and Maria Paula Moya of Ecuador. Game scores were 11-6, 9-11, and 11-7.
In perhaps the most thrilling match of the event yet, Peru’s Martin Leon and Rafael Galvez became the boy’s doubles champions. It was an epic battle against Colombia’s Andres Villamizar and Nicolas Serna, with the match being almost two hours long. Game scores were 5-11, 11-7, 11-10.
(by Squash Canada)
Day Three at the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships solidified the teams who will be progressing to the finals of the mixed, boys, and girls doubles event. It also crowned the champions of the boy’s and girl’s individual competition.
- In the semi-finals, Jeremias Azana (Argentina) and Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta (Mexico) showed their determination to win an intense five game battle. Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta came out on top with scores of 11-9, 2-11, 8-11, 13-11, 11-9.
- In perhaps the most unique match-up of the event, twin brothers, Leonardo Vargas and Juan Carlos Vargas (Mexico), had to fight one another for the gold medal in the finals. The boys displayed great sportsmanship, focusing on the game and making it very entertaining to watch. Leonardo became champion, with game scores of 10-12, 12-10, 11-9, and 11-8.
- Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) defeated Lucia Bautista (Colombia); thus, securing a spot in the finals with game scores of 6-11, 11-5, 11-5, and 11-8. Meagan Best will join Moya in the final after defeating Canada’s Brianna Jefferson.
- Maria Paula Moya from Ecuador became the 2019 champion of the girls individual event, after defeating Meagan Best from Barbados in an intense final. Game scores were 6-11, 11-9, 11-9, and 11-8.
- After both winning their semi-final matches convincingly, David Costales/Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) and Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) will meet in the finals on Wednesday.
- Martin Leon/Rafael Galvez (Peru) defeated Argentina’s Dylan Tymkiw/Jeremias Azana in two games, 11-4, and 11-5. The duo will fight for gold in Wednesday’s final against Nicolas Serna/Andres Villamizar of Colombia.
- Nina Mital/Molly Stoltz (USA) defeated Erika Maria Parker-Schmidt/Katya Aceituno (El Salvador) in game scores of 11-6 and 11-9.
- Lucia Bautista/Amalia Rios of Colombia defeated Fabiana Garcia/Maria Buenano (Ecuador) in scores of 11-8 and 11-4.
Team Canada Results – Day 3
- Girls Singles: Brianna Jefferson lost to Meagan Best (Barbados) by scores of 5-11, 5-11, and 7-11.
- Mixed Doubles: Brianna Jefferson/Nikhil Ismail lost to Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) by scores of 11-5, 11-4.
- In the Slaight Music International Junior Squash Showcase (companion event), Canada’s own Emilio Carrillo has advanced to the Boys final to be played Wednesday against Lisandro Ortiz of Argentina.