2019 PAN AMERICAN JUNIOR SQUASH CHAMPIONSHIPS – DAY 4 RECAP (BY SQUASH CANADA)
(By Squash Canada)
TORONTO, ON, June 19, 2019 — As Day Four began this morning, it marked the beginning of the team event at the 2019 Pan American Junior Championships. The 12 nations came prepared with their flags and spirited energy, as they cheered on their teammates. It was a much lighter day from a scheduling standpoint with just teams starting and the doubles finals later in the day.
Girls Team Event
- Team Mexico took down Ecuador in match scores of 2-1.
- Canada defeated Colombia in match scores of 2-1.
- USA beat Barbados in match scores of 2-1.
Boys Team Event
- Mexico defeats Colombia in match scores of 3-0.
- El Salvador took down Cayman Islands 3-0.
- Argentina defeated USA 2-1.
- Bermuda beat Barbados 2-1.
- Canada defeated Peru 3-0.
Amalia Rios & Lucia Bautista from Colombia were crowned champions when they defeated Team USA’s Molly Stoltz & Nina Mital in game scores of 6-11, 11-6, and 11-10. Supporters were on the edge of their seats when it came to 10-10 in the 3rd game. The 1-point difference in the 3rd game had supporters on the edge of their seats.
Meagan Best and Khamal Cumberbatch were crowned champions of the mixed doubles category after a thrilling 3-set match against David Costales and Maria Paula Moya of Ecuador. Game scores were 11-6, 9-11, and 11-7.
In perhaps the most thrilling match of the event yet, Peru’s Martin Leon and Rafael Galvez became the boy’s doubles champions. It was an epic battle against Colombia’s Andres Villamizar and Nicolas Serna, with the match being almost two hours long. Game scores were 5-11, 11-7, 11-10.
2019 PAN AMERICAN JUNIOR SQUASH CHAMPIONSHIPS – DAY 3 RECAP (BY SQUASH CANADA)
(by Squash Canada)
Day Three at the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships solidified the teams who will be progressing to the finals of the mixed, boys, and girls doubles event. It also crowned the champions of the boy’s and girl’s individual competition.
- In the semi-finals, Jeremias Azana (Argentina) and Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta (Mexico) showed their determination to win an intense five game battle. Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta came out on top with scores of 11-9, 2-11, 8-11, 13-11, 11-9.
- In perhaps the most unique match-up of the event, twin brothers, Leonardo Vargas and Juan Carlos Vargas (Mexico), had to fight one another for the gold medal in the finals. The boys displayed great sportsmanship, focusing on the game and making it very entertaining to watch. Leonardo became champion, with game scores of 10-12, 12-10, 11-9, and 11-8.
- Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) defeated Lucia Bautista (Colombia); thus, securing a spot in the finals with game scores of 6-11, 11-5, 11-5, and 11-8. Meagan Best will join Moya in the final after defeating Canada’s Brianna Jefferson.
- Maria Paula Moya from Ecuador became the 2019 champion of the girls individual event, after defeating Meagan Best from Barbados in an intense final. Game scores were 6-11, 11-9, 11-9, and 11-8.
- After both winning their semi-final matches convincingly, David Costales/Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) and Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) will meet in the finals on Wednesday.
- Martin Leon/Rafael Galvez (Peru) defeated Argentina’s Dylan Tymkiw/Jeremias Azana in two games, 11-4, and 11-5. The duo will fight for gold in Wednesday’s final against Nicolas Serna/Andres Villamizar of Colombia.
- Nina Mital/Molly Stoltz (USA) defeated Erika Maria Parker-Schmidt/Katya Aceituno (El Salvador) in game scores of 11-6 and 11-9.
- Lucia Bautista/Amalia Rios of Colombia defeated Fabiana Garcia/Maria Buenano (Ecuador) in scores of 11-8 and 11-4.
Team Canada Results – Day 3
- Girls Singles: Brianna Jefferson lost to Meagan Best (Barbados) by scores of 5-11, 5-11, and 7-11.
- Mixed Doubles: Brianna Jefferson/Nikhil Ismail lost to Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) by scores of 11-5, 11-4.
- In the Slaight Music International Junior Squash Showcase (companion event), Canada’s own Emilio Carrillo has advanced to the Boys final to be played Wednesday against Lisandro Ortiz of Argentina.
2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships – Day 2 Recap (by Squash Canada)
(by Squash Canada)
Day Two of the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships commenced with the athletes having a chance to shake off any pre-tournament jitters the day before. As the matchups became closer in skill, the level of intensity increased, with many matches going to five games and ending in nail biting scores.
- The highlight of the day was Lucia Bautista/Amalia Rios (Colombia) defeating Miriam Ortiz/Mariana Narvaez Dardon (Mexico) in a crowd gathering match. Game scores were 11-8, 9-11, and 11-6. Team Colombia will be joining Ecuador, El Salvador, and USA in the semi-finals on Tuesday.
- Lucia Bautista (Colombia) showed success in multiple categories, after also defeating Renee Chan (USA) in a great match with scores of 12-10, 8-11, 11-6 and 11-5.
- Nicolas Serna/Andres Villamizar (Colombia) claimed the closest match of the day by defeating Maxwell Orr/Conner Stoltz (USA), with scores of 8-11, 11-8, and 11-8. Proceeding into the semi-finals are countries Argentina, Colombia, El Salvador and Peru.
- The match between Brianna Jefferson/Nikhil Ismail (Canada) and David Pitcairn/Jade Pitcairn (Cayman Islands) kept supporters on the edge of their seats, but Canada ultimately succeeded with scores of 10-11, 11-7, and 11-9. Heading into the semis are Canada, Barbados, Argentina and Ecuador.
- The boy’s singles displayed the strength and endurance of the talented athletes, with many lengthy battles and close matchups. Some of the young men had to perform after overcoming a difficult game in the morning. The honourable mention goes to Leonardo Vargas Inurreta (Mexico) defeating Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) with close scores of 6-11, 11-9, 11-9, 8-11, and 11-9. Jeremias Azana (Argentina) and Nikhil Ismail (Canada) put on a real show for the audience. Although Nikhil ultimately lost, he was able to make it an entertaining five setter after being down 2-0, with scores of 5-11, 9-11, 11-9, 11-6, 8-11.
Team Canada Results – Day 2
- Erica McGillicuddy/Molly Chadwick lost to Ecuador by scores of 8-11 and 8-11.
- Neel Ismail lost to Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) by scores of 6-11, 14-16, and 10-12.
- Douglas Kosciukiewicz lost to Spencer Yager (USA) by scores of 3-11, 7-11, 11-6, and 11-13.
- Nikhil Ismail defeated Maxwell Orr by scores of 2-11, 11-8, 9-11, 12-10, and 11-9.
- Molly Chadwick lost to Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) by scores of 11-6, 6-11, 11-6, 7-11, and 8-11.
- Erica McGillicuddy lost to Mariana Narvaez Dardon (Mexico) by scores of 9-11, 5-11, 11-8 and 8-11.
- Brianna Jefferson defeated Jade Pitcairn (Cayman Islands) by scores of 11-9, 12-10 and 11-3.
- Brianna Jefferson defeated Binney Huffman (USA) by scores of 6-11, 11-7, 11-8 and 11-9.
- Charlotte Orcutt defeated Katya Aceituno (El Salvador) by scores of 11-4, 11-3, and 11-6.
- Charlotte Orcutt lost to Lucia Bautista (Colombia) by scores of 10-12, 7-11 and 8-11.
Pan Am Juniors 2019 – Day One (by Squash Canada)
By Squash Canada:
Day One – Recap:
Day One began with optimism as every player participating in the 2019 Pan american Junior Squash Championships began their quests for Gold in Singles and Doubles events. Many of the matches today were dominated by the top seeded players except for a few close battles.
Girls Singles Event:
Marianna Narvaez Dardon (Mexico) pulled off a huge comeback win after being down two games to defeat Nina Mital (USA) by scores of 6-11, 7-11, 11-6, 11-6 and 11-3. In other girls’ singles matches, the top players such as Charlotte Orcutt, Meagan Best, Maria Moya and more made statements by winning their matches in three games.
Boys Singles Event:
In the only 5-set singles match on Sunday morning, Nicolas Santander of Peru defeated Mateo Andres Avila of Ecuador by scores of 11-9, 7-11, 11-7, 4-11, 11-7. It was a highly contested back and forth battle that had the spectators on their feet. Spencer Yager (USA) defeated Lisandro Ortiz (Argentina) after being down two sets by
scores of 7-11, 7-11, 11-6, 11-3 and 11-7.
Boys Doubles Event:
USA’s Maxwell Orr and Conner Stoltz had the closest doubles match of the day against Ecuador’s Mateo Avila and Antonio Vaca by scores of 11-6, 8-11, 11-9. In other action, the top pairs dominated their matches and will look to carry the strong play on to the next round.
* Note: All Doubles matches are played according to Softball Doubles rules (Best 2 out of 3).
Day One concluded with the official Opening Ceremony that showcased the 12 countries participating in this years’ 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships. The teams were part of a Parade of Nations, the introduction of
the Organizing Committee, a beautiful children’s choir that sang the Canadian National Anthem and the Official Opening by Secretary General of the FPS Francisco Paradisi. The quaint Opening Ceremony put an end to a very successful Day One and the start of the Championship.
Darlene Holland, General Manager of the Mayfair Lakeshore had this to say about hosting the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships, “Mayfair is honored to host the Pan Am Juniors this week, we hope everyone has a
Team Canada – Day One Results:
o Neel Ismail/Douglas Kosciukiewicz lost to Peru by scores of 2-11 and 3-11
o Charlotte Orcutt defeated Mariana Buenano (Ecuador) by scores of 11-7, 11-6 and 11-2
o Molly Chadwick defeated Abigail Brewer (Bermuda) by scores of 11-3, 11-7 and 11-2
o Erica McGillicuddy defeated Amalia Rios (Columbia) by scores of 11-3, 11-6 and 11-6
o Brianna Jefferson defeated Paola Franco (Mexico) by scores of 11-5, 11-8, 9-11 and 11-7
o Neel Ismail defeats Andres Villamizar (Columbia) by scores of 11-9, 11-6 and 11-8
o Douglas Kosciukiewicz defeats David Pitcairn (Cayman Islands) by scores of 11-5, 11-5 and 11-2
o Emilio Carrillo was defeated by Rafael Galvez (Peru) by scores of 8-11, 5-11 and 9-11
o Nikhil Ismail defeated Andres Villamizar (Columbia) by scores of 11-9, 11-6 and 11-8
Shuttle Schedule for Sunday June 16th
Shuttle Schedule for Sunday June 16th
Draws are now available
Draws for the Singles and Doubles events can now be seen in the Draws & Results section.
Let the games begin !
Practice Booking Schedule: CLICK HERE to download available hours and contact Reinaldo Rivas (firstname.lastname@example.org) to book court times.
Horario y reservaciones para sessiones de practica: Haga CLICK AQUÍ para descargar las horas disponibles y comuníquese con Reinaldo Rivas (email@example.com) para reservar los horarios de practica.
Final Draws will be available on Saturday June 15th in the evening. In the meantime, CLICK HERE to download a draft of the overall schedule.
Los cuadros finales estarán disponibles el sábado 15 de junio por la noche. Mientras tanto, HAGA CLICK AQUÍ para descargar un borrador del programa general.
Teams & Players
We have now the final list of Teams and their players!
Check out the new page called “Teams & Players” for more details.
Only 2 weeks away from this great event !