(by Squash Canada)
Day Three at the 2019 Pan American Junior Squash Championships solidified the teams who will be progressing to the finals of the mixed, boys, and girls doubles event. It also crowned the champions of the boy’s and girl’s individual competition.
- In the semi-finals, Jeremias Azana (Argentina) and Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta (Mexico) showed their determination to win an intense five game battle. Juan Carlos Vargas Inurreta came out on top with scores of 11-9, 2-11, 8-11, 13-11, 11-9.
- In perhaps the most unique match-up of the event, twin brothers, Leonardo Vargas and Juan Carlos Vargas (Mexico), had to fight one another for the gold medal in the finals. The boys displayed great sportsmanship, focusing on the game and making it very entertaining to watch. Leonardo became champion, with game scores of 10-12, 12-10, 11-9, and 11-8.
- Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) defeated Lucia Bautista (Colombia); thus, securing a spot in the finals with game scores of 6-11, 11-5, 11-5, and 11-8. Meagan Best will join Moya in the final after defeating Canada’s Brianna Jefferson.
- Maria Paula Moya from Ecuador became the 2019 champion of the girls individual event, after defeating Meagan Best from Barbados in an intense final. Game scores were 6-11, 11-9, 11-9, and 11-8.
- After both winning their semi-final matches convincingly, David Costales/Maria Paula Moya (Ecuador) and Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) will meet in the finals on Wednesday.
- Martin Leon/Rafael Galvez (Peru) defeated Argentina’s Dylan Tymkiw/Jeremias Azana in two games, 11-4, and 11-5. The duo will fight for gold in Wednesday’s final against Nicolas Serna/Andres Villamizar of Colombia.
- Nina Mital/Molly Stoltz (USA) defeated Erika Maria Parker-Schmidt/Katya Aceituno (El Salvador) in game scores of 11-6 and 11-9.
- Lucia Bautista/Amalia Rios of Colombia defeated Fabiana Garcia/Maria Buenano (Ecuador) in scores of 11-8 and 11-4.
Team Canada Results – Day 3
- Girls Singles: Brianna Jefferson lost to Meagan Best (Barbados) by scores of 5-11, 5-11, and 7-11.
- Mixed Doubles: Brianna Jefferson/Nikhil Ismail lost to Meagan Best/Khamal Cumberbatch (Barbados) by scores of 11-5, 11-4.
- In the Slaight Music International Junior Squash Showcase (companion event), Canada’s own Emilio Carrillo has advanced to the Boys final to be played Wednesday against Lisandro Ortiz of Argentina.